Florida Association of School Nurses

Nurses for Under-Resourced Schools Everywhere Act - HR 2606

By Lisa Kern, MSN, NCSN, RN posted 6 days ago

  

Here is an update on the Nurses for Under-Resourced Schools Everywhere Act (NURSE Act), introduced by Representative Dina Titus (D-NV) and Representative Chellie Pingree (D-ME).  The NURSE Act would give grants through from the Department of Education to increase the number of registered school nurses in Title I schools where there does not already exist a school nurse. These would be demonstration grants that would be awarded on a competitive basis.  There is a cost share between Department of Education with it contributing the bulk of the grant (75 percent) and the SEA/LEA contributing the remainder (25 percent) of the grant.

BIG NEWS - The NURSE Act HR 2602, has been referred to the House Committee on Education and Labor as well as the House Committee on Energy and Commerce. Please contact the Florida Members of Congress listed below (if you are a constituent), and ask them to support and co-sponsor the NURSE Act.

Call your Representative or Email and ask them to co-sponsor the NURSE Act (Nurses for Under-Resourced Schools Everywhere Act) HR 2606. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 202-225-3121 and ask to be connected to your Congressman. 

Here is are some talking points for telephone contact: 

  • As a constituent and a school nurse, I know how important it is that children have their health needs met at school.
  • According to national data, only 39 percent of schools employ a full-time school nurse, while 35 percent of schools employ a part-time school nurse. Twenty five percent of schools do not a have a school nurse at all.
  • The NURSE Act would give grants to increase the number of school nurses in Title I schools where there is not already a school nurse.
  • Between 15 and 20 percent of children in school have a chronic condition, such as asthma, diabetes, food allergy, seizure disorder or other health conditions. Today's children face greater health needs than in past generations.
  • Additionally, school nurses spend 32 percent of their time on mental health issues of their students.
  • School nurses help keep students safe, healthy and ready to learn. Please co-sponsor the NURSE Act HR 2606.

Here is a template for an email - insert the name of YOUR Congressman/Congresswoman and YOUR NAME and send!

Dear [Congressman/Congresswoman],

I am writing to urge you to co-sponsor the Nurses for Under-Resourced Schools Everywhere (NURSE) Act, HR 2606 As a school nurse, I know firsthand how important it is for children to have a registered nurse at school to take care of their health care needs.

The NURSE Act would give grants to increase the number of school nurses in Title I schools where there does not already exist a school nurse.

National data indicates 39 percent of public schools have a school nurse, while another 35 percent of schools have a school nurse who works part-time in one or more schools. This leaves another 25 percent of schools that do not have a school nurse at all. Wide ratio disparities exist from state to state, within states and school districts, and between urban and rural.

Children today face increased social and emotional issues; according to the CDC, 20 percent of children and adolescents experience some sort of mental disorder. School nurses spend one-third of their time providing mental health issues and are critical members of the mental health team.

For many of our nation's children, the school nurse is the sole provider of access to health care. This makes the role of school nurses even more critical. School nurses operate in what some have termed the "Hidden Health Care System." School nurses coordinate with families, schools, and providers to connect children to medical homes, which can help improve health outcomes and reduce costs.

The American Nurses Association has reported that when there is no registered nurse on the school premises, the responsibility to administer the necessary medications and treatments, and to appropriately monitor children's health issues, fall on the shoulders of administrators, educators, and staff, who are ill‐prepared to perform these tasks.

Please ensure that our children are safe, healthy and ready to learn by Co-Sponsoring the NURSE Act.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

 

House Committee on Education and Labor

Majority   

Rep. Frederica Wilson - FL

Rep. Donna Shalala -FL

House Committee on Energy and Commerce

Majority

Rep. Kathy Castor – FL

Rep. Darren Soto – FL

Minority

Rep. Gus Bilirakis – FL

------------------------------
Piper Largent
Director of Government Affairs
National Association of School Nurses
Silver Spring, MD United States
0 comments
9 views

Permalink